Accountability and the citizen-led control of public initiatives today are now crucial to the development policies implemented in Africa. In Benin, civil society has shown a desire for more active involvement in public life. The 2016 presidential elections fuelled a new kind of active and organised citizenship, as exemplified by the online and mobile platform Vote 229, which was created so that people could follow the elections via a network of observers across the country.
The media have a key role to play in this dialogue between civil society and the government.
The Benin Citizens' Dialogues project aims to increase the involvement of the media, so that they play their part in promoting more active citizenship and encouraging greater civic engagement. It follows on from the initiatives already carried out by CFI in Benin, and has been devised by taking account of the results of other projects launched in Côte d'Ivoire and Burkina Faso covering similar issues.
It is aimed primarily at eight community radio stations in the Littoral, Borgou and Alibori regions along with a private television channel, print and online media outlets, and bloggers.
Print, radio and television journalists, and bloggers.
Files to download
Raising awareness of notions of citizenship, citizen-led public initiatives (CCAP) and accountability
- Open seminar
- Workshop on key concepts of citizenship
- Production of small modules (or microprogrammes) on aspects of citizenship
- Themed workshop on budget monitoring
Producing programmes on citizenshipDecember 15, 2016
Strengthening radio station marketing and financial managementFebruary 2, 2017
Training in budgetary monitoringAugust 29, 2017
Building journalists’ skills
- Training in awareness-raising magazine production
- -Training in the production of focused broadcasts, debate and interaction
- Production of broadcasts in synergy
- Editorial management improvement
- Training in investigative journalism
- Training in social networks and online media
- Introduction to data-journalism
- Broadcast production contest
Newsmakers perfect their editorial management skills in BeninNovember 30, 2016
Civil society leaders introduced to social media in BeninDecember 31, 2016
Understanding the key concepts of citizenshipMarch 31, 2017
Promoting open, interactive discussionJune 12, 2017
Debates and interactivity on Benin radio stationsAugust 30, 2017
Strengthening radio station management
- Training in management and marketing
- Training in associative management and social mobilisation