The media organizations within the Western Balkan countries still offer little in the way of content and formats that are truly adapted to the concerns of young people. The region is not immune, as elsewhere, to the spread of fake news and to logics of instrumentalization of opinions on social networks.
The Balkans Voices project identifies several ways to help young people to make their voices heard including: ensuring they are aware of the importance of images and what they can convey, helping them to develop critical thinking skills with regard to the media, encouraging and strengthening digital production, supporting audiovisual creation, etc.
Resolutely focused on the future and implemented in close collaboration with the cooperation and cultural action services of French Embassies in each country, this project thus uses digital media to promote freedom of expression throughout the Western Balkans region, which is being reinvigorated by the input of young people, in particular young women.
Young people (15-35 years old) in 6 Western Balkan countries: around 1600 direct beneficiaries
- Around 1000 young people aged 15-20 years old, particularly those at secondary school (pupils).
- Around 450 young people aged 18-30 particularly those studying journalism and communication.
- Around 60 Media project leaders (bloggers and influencers in each country).
- Around 100 young students in film schools and young talented individuals working in audiovisual creation.
Files to download
Developing critical thinking skills among young people with regard to the media
- Designing pedagogical tools for decrypting information (educational online platform and training regional trainers).
- Regional Training of Trainers on media and information literacy tools.
- Workshops on decryption and raising awareness towards fake news with young people aged from 15 to 19 years-old.
- Masterclasses on how news is produced and fact-checking for students, in particular those studying journalism and communication.
Talmil.org, helping young people to develop critical thinking skills with regard to the mediaNovember 13, 2020
Tools to raise awareness of media and information among young people from the BalkansJanuary 7, 2021
New content on TALMIL, the Balkan media education platformDecember 15, 2021
New training sessions on media and information education launched in the BalkansMarch 30, 2022
Miriam Neziri Angoni: "I think, therefore I am"July 10, 2023
Strengthening the skills of the new Media contributors
- A regional conference bringing together influencers, bloggers, digital Media project leaders, and online news contributors.
- Regional Practical Workshops and Training.
- Introductory one-week workshop in Paris and six months of individual coaching.
Sixty young people from the Western Balkans offered support to develop their media projectsJune 24, 2021
Introducing young people from the Balkans to the basics of online journalismOctober 21, 2021
Around 20 young people from the Balkans in an incubation session for their media projects in ParisDecember 14, 2021
Réa Godot: from bookworm to digital entrepreneurApril 22, 2022
Ivan Durgutov: building a better informed and more open societyApril 22, 2022
Developing audiovisual and digital productions that enable young people to present their reality
- Workshops in film and audiovisual schools in the region: scriptwriting, web documentary, mobile video, web series, video games, etc.
- Regional seminar on the challenges of multimedia production and new forms of writing.
- Financial support for audiovisual, digital and interactive production on topics that interest young people (ecology, technology, art, culture, etc.)
- Financial support for projects gathering young professionals from the six countries.