The problems encountered by investigative journalists in the Arab world are manifold: lack of time, lack of financial resources, isolation, physical threats, legal action, etc.
To address these challenges, CFI launched MédiaLab Investigation in September 2019. This project supports the specialisation of investigative journalists from nine countries in the Arab world in the field of health, through networking and support for the production of investigations. It also allows for working with investigative media for specific needs.
More specifically, CFI has chosen to provide support for investigations relating to health. Indeed, a study has revealed that the challenges in this field deserve better journalism coverage in the Maghreb and Mashriq countries.
MédiaLab Investigation falls within the “International Strategy for French Language and Plurilingualism".
Networking of investigative journalists
MediaLab Investigation launched at the GIJN’s Global ConferenceOctober 15, 2019
Investigative journalists invited to the ARIJ forum by CFIDecember 4, 2019
Training investigative journalists in the field of health and support for the production of investigations
- Call for investigation projects and organisation of a panel on the subject of investigation in the field of health, during the
GIJN Conference in September 2019.
- Support for the production of eight investigations: training sessions supervised by three experts and financial contribution to the costs of conducting the investigations.
- An award given to the best investigation, during the International Journalism Conference in Tunis in 2020.
Call for projects to investigate health in the Arab worldSeptember 24, 2019
MediaLab Investigation: Eight investigations into health selectedNovember 22, 2019
“Medicines out of control”, the first investigation published as part of the Medialab Investigation projectNovember 13, 2020
MediaLab Investigation: Investigation into the suffering of breast cancer patients in TataouineNovember 24, 2020
Medialab Investigation: the 3rd investigation published looks into psychological violence towards women in TunisiaNovember 26, 2020
Médialab Investigation: the 4th investigation published looks into poor management within public hospitals in PalestineNovember 26, 2020
MédiaLab Investigation: the 5th investigation published examines difficulties that women encounter when trying to access healthcare in remote areas of TunisiaDecember 8, 2020
MediaLab Investigation: the 6th investigation published looks into sickle cell anaemia among children in Siwa Oasis, EgyptDecember 8, 2020
Investigations in the field of health in Egypt, Iraq, Palestine and TunisiaNovember 29, 2022
Specific support for investigative media outlets in the Arab world
- Identification of three media outlets in need of personalised support: economic model development assistance, training, legal assistance, etc.
- Final seminar bringing together journalists, media outlets, philanthropists and citizens: presentation of investigation published and their impact, feedback and project assessment.
The French language is at the heart of this project, with translation into French of all investigations published, translation into French of workshops during the GIJN conference in Hamburg and a launch panel entirely in French (with simultaneous interpreting into English) at that conference.