In the wake of the Arab Springs, Jordan has been implementing a series of constitutional and political reforms aimed at building a "dynamic democracy". These reforms are based on progressive consolidation of the parliamentary system, active citizen participation and the strengthening of political parties. In line with its strategy for promoting the rule of law, the European Union (EU) has launched a programme in support of this reform process in Jordan.
This is the context behind the project entitled JDID (EU support to Jordanian Democratic institutions & Development)– meaning "new" in Arabic – allocated by the EU to the European Centre for Electoral Support (ECES), in a consortium with European Partnership for Democracy (EPD), Westminster Foundation for Democracy (WFD), Netherlands Institute for Multiparty Democracy (NIMD) and CFI. Over the course of 4 years, it is to be implemented in collaboration with the Jordanian Chamber of Representatives, the Independent Electoral Commission, political parties and civil society organisations.
As vectors of transparency and citizen information, the media play a crucial role in the democratic process. The media segment of the JDID, implemented by CFI, includes training political journalists and also raising the awareness of elected representatives to the need to communicate with the media. It also provides support to the independent electoral commission in setting up a unit to monitor election and ballot coverage by the media.
Files to download
- Jordanian Chamber of Representatives
- Jordan Independent Electoral Commission
- Political journalists based in Amman and provincial governorates
- Jordanian parliamentarians
Support for the reform of the Jordanian parliament
- Seminars providing information about the Jordanian political system and training courses in how to cover political and parliamentary news
- Creation of a media centre within the Jordanian parliament
- Online kit for covering political news
- "MP to people": interactive radio programmes
Call for applications: Radio journalism expert / self-employed individualFebruary 2, 2018
Call for applications: a political journalism in JordanFebruary 4, 2018
Call for application - “MPs to people” radio programsMay 3, 2018
'Le Parlement': a Jordanian podcast bringing citizens and Members of Parliament togetherMarch 7, 2019
Call for applications: Pravo-Justice Assistant-coordinatorFebruary 24, 2020
Interactive programmes to foster dialogue with Members of ParliamentNovember 16, 2021
- Training in the coverage of electoral news
- Establishment of a unit for monitoring the media within the Independent Electoral Commission for covering campaigns and elections
Covering political news: Jordanian journalists in trainingApril 23, 2018
Preparing for the upcoming elections in JordanDecember 13, 2019
Journalists in Jordan undergo training on how to cover 2020 electionsFebruary 10, 2020
Forum on the topic: "Social networks and politics".